Fit Friday Recipe: Healthy Spicy Chipotle Chicken Burritos
Fit Friday Recipes is a weekly series posted every Friday that provides you with a healthy recipe to try making during the weekend. Every recipe can be modified based on your fitness goals and taste preferences.
Eating healthy does not have to mean eating bland food! Take for example this recipe that we recently created to solve a Mexican food craving that both Laura and I had. It is easy to make, tastes like you’re having a cheat meal and will impress anyone you make it for.
Healthy Spicy Chipotle Chicken Burritos
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper (medium)
- 1 onion (medium)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tequila
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 can low sodium black beans
- 1 c uncooked brown rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Mission Carb Balance tortillas
- Cut the chicken breast into one inch thick slices
- Julienne the red bell pepper and onion
- Peel and crush garlic cloves
- In a food processor or blender, puree the chipotle peppers in adobo. Add in chicken stock until smooth consistency. If this puree is too spicy, add in crushed or fresh tomatoes to temper the spiciness.
- Start cooking brown rice according to package instructions.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken on medium heat until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet once cooked and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to skillet. Add red bell pepper and onion. Cook until peppers and onions begin to soften.
- Remove skillet from heat and add tequila to deglaze pan. Use a wooden spoon to scrap any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan (these are the best!)
- Return skillet to the heat. Add chipotle puree. If needed, add more chicken stock. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring chipotle sauce to a simmer. Allow sauce to reduce for 5-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken back to skillet. Simmer in sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate sauce pan, warm black beans over low heat.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for 10-15 seconds.
To build your tortillas, scoop a layer of chicken with chipotle sauce, add a 1-2 tablespoons of black beans, add 1-2 tablespoons of brown rice and add any other fillings, including shredded lettuce and salsa.
If you have never tried rolling a burrito before (or just need a refresher), this is a great video that will help you step-by-step: